How to Consign (Sell)
How to Sell... The EASY Way!
Selling your furniture with Salem Consignment is easier and faster than you ever thought possible. When your items sell, you receive a check for 50% of the selling price.
The majority of consignments sell within the first 30 days, and many pieces within the first few days!
Let the experts at Salem Consignment do all the pricing (or you can help with this part), marketing, and selling, while you just relax and cash the checks!
3 easy steps to consign:
Pre-approval and Preparation
- Condition Requirements
These are our general guidelines for accepting furniture and decor on consignment. If the items you wish to consign are not covered by these guidelines, please call us to discuss the acceptability of your specific items.
Please understand that we must be very particular concerning the condition of the items we can accept.
Salem Consignment accepts furnishings that are in "like new" condition. The items must be of a good quality construction, have minimal wear and tear, and is of a style that would be of interest to a large number of customers.
Case Goods (Tables, bookcases, bedroom furniture, etc)
- Solid wood construction preferred, although veneered plywood or engineered wood items will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- The finish and paint on solid surfaces must be consistent over all the surfaces (especially the primary surfaces such as top and front), and well maintained.
- Legs and frame must be sturdy with no wobble.
- Glass & mirrors must be free of scratches and chips
- No broken or missing hardware/pieces. Doors and drawers must operate smoothly and close correctly.
- Antique furniture which has been meticulously maintained or recently restored, and are in like-new will be considered. We also accept antique reproductions in excellent condition
Upholstered Furniture (Sofas, Chairs, Recliners, etc.)
- Cushions and pillows must show no sagging or be out of shape. When sitting down, the cushion and springs must be firm and supportive
- Upholstery must be absolutely clean, no apparent wear, and odor free. No stains. No faded or sun-bleached areas. No pet hair. No tears.
- Finish of wood or metal trim should be smooth and consistent in color.
- For upholstered items older than about 5 years, pay particular attention to the condition of the cushions and springs. Cushions and pillows must show no sagging or be out of shape. When sitting down, the cushion and springs must be firm and supportive ("sinkers" will not be accepted).
- Legs and frame must be sturdy with no wobble.
- Mechanical movements must operate smoothly (i.e. recliners, hide-a-beds, massage chairs)
Artwork must be in perfect condition.
Other Décor must be in flawless condition.
- Art and sculptures
- Crystal Chandeliers
- Other Quality Items for the Home
What we cannot accept
- Lamps without shades (or shades which have yellowed)
- Cribs or toddler beds
- Lamps/Chandeliers without working bulbs and fixtures
- Anything in need of repair or refinishing
Due to the vast numbers of people purchasing large, flat screen televisions, there is little demand for traditional style entertainment centers that are designed for picture-tube style T.V.'s. Therefore, we are no longer accepting them on consignment.
Media centers designed for flat-screen T.V.'s 48" or larger are in demand, and we would be interested in accepting those on consignment.
In CloseIn general terms, we accept items in like-new condition, and are of a style that has strong demand.
- If your furniture is less than 3 years of age and in "like-new" condition, we can usually pre-approve your item by just asking you a few questions. Please contact us to discuss your items.
- If your furniture is over 3 years of age, we would like to see some photos first. Digital pictures sent via firstname.lastname@example.org are preferred, or photos can be brought into the store on your camera or phone.
- You can bring in your items without pre-approval, however, keep in mind that if we are not able to accept them, you'll need to take them back with you.
- All consignments are subject to our final inspection and stringent quality standards.*
Delivery To Our Showroom
- You may bring in your pre-approved items any day during the hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you don't have the ability to bring in your items yourself, we can recommend a professional and highly reliable service for hire. The cost for the service is very competitive and varies depending on the number of items and other specifics of the job.
- After arrival, each of your items will go through a thorough inspection to determine quality and condition. Our pricing specialist will then recommend pricing with consideration given to condition, quality of construction, manufacturer, original purchase price, style, and demand of the item. We view each consignment as a partnership. It is in everyone's interest to price items at a fair market value that would realistically sell within 30 days.
- We use an automatic price discounting to ensure that your item sells quickly, and at the correct market price.
That's all there is to It!
Ready to GET STARTED? Send us your photos!