How to Buy... The SMART Way!
Join the savvy Salem Consignment shoppers who have discovered the secret to buying quality, traditional, modern and country name brand furniture at about half the original retail price. No need to wait months for ordering and delivery, and no need to settle for cheaply made, low cost/high volume big-box retailer furniture that may only last a couple of years.
Our shoppers know how picky we are about the consignments we accept. In fact, because of our high acceptance standards, we reject far more pieces than we accept. Our inventory is so gently-used and stylish, that it's not uncommon for first-time customers to look around and ask "Is this furniture really used?"
Frequently Asked BUYING Questions
How can I purchase an item on its next markdown date?
On the day of an item’s markdown, it will be sold on a first come, first served basis. In the event that more than one person is waiting for a markdown item when the store opens, the item will be sold to the first person who tells an Salem Consignment associate that they wish to purchase the item. Phone and Internet orders for markdown items will be held until one-half hour after opening. This policy is in the interest of fairness, as priority will be given to those who make the effort to come in to the store.
Why do some furniture and decor items only have one price on the tags? Do they ever get discounted?
Some consignments and items that we sell are new, such as model home furnishings, liquidation and overstock items, clearance items, factory seconds, and smaller décor items. These items will have no mark downs because the price is already at its lowest acceptable price.
Are the prices negotiable, or will you contact the consignor with offers?
All prices and dates on the tags are firm. And, out of fairness to all customers, we will not contact the consignor with offers. The prices and price reduction schedules are set by contract with each individual consignor, and our store policy prevents us from contacting them with offers. That being said, we have no problem looking to see if that item is do a markdown we just haven't marked with a sale tag yet.
Can I get a discount for buying multiple items?
Other furniture stores build in extra profit margin in their prices so they can offer you discounts to pressure you into buying additional pieces. At Upscale Consignment, we don't play that game. Everything is already priced at its lowest acceptable price, so you know you are getting a great deal whether you are buying one piece, or a whole houseful.
Do you offer delivery? How much does it cost?
We do provide a delivery service for a fee. The fee for the service is variable depending on the number of items and other specifics of the job. Please click our Pick Up and Delivery menu link for more details.
If I pick-up, will you help load my items?
While we're happy to help you load your items into your vehicle, insurance regulations prohibit us from securing the items. Remember to bring your own blankets, rope, or tie downs as we do not provide these items.
If I buy something, can I pick it up later? How long do I have?
Due to our limited storage area, we ask that you make arrangements to pick up your items as soon as possible. Items that are not picked up within 7 days will be charged $5 per day per item. Please note that items will remain on the showroom floor until they are picked up and Salem Consignment will not be responsible for any damage that may occur between the time the item is purchased and when it is picked up. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
The SALEM Consignment Buyer’s Advantage!
- Quick turnover means a unique shopping experience every time you come in.
- No frills style shopping means you profit from our low overhead and low profit margins.
- The Online Wishlist is a popular feature of the website; it is like having your own personal shopper.
- Layaway is available with 50% down and a $10 processing fee on many but not all items, See Ken.
- Gift cards are available in any amount
- No commissioned salespeople ensure that you can browse in peace, although we are always happy to be of service to answer any questions you may have, or provide assistance or advice.
- Take it home today! We have someone who can help you load it in your vehicle.
- Delivery is available by a licensed, bonded, and insured moving service.
What you’ll find:
- An ever changing variety of quality, "gently-used" furniture and décor, of current styles and in like-new condition
- An assortment of brand new furnishings, received from model homes, manufacturer overstocks, store close-outs, and showroom samples.
- New décor, artwork, lamps and mirrors
How to get your items home:
- You can take your item with you, or, for a fee, have it delivered, whichever is most convenient. If you’d like to pick-up your item later, we can hold it for you, free-of-charge for up to one week.
- If you want to take your item with you, we will be happy to help you load your item into your vehicle. However, you must bring your ow padding, rope, or tie-downs as we do not have these items available. Also, our insurance regulations prevent our staff from securing the load in your vehicle.